It’s Friday night. You’ve just cooked yourself a lovely meal, are cozied up in your favourite loungewear and have Netflix ready to go.
You’ve outdone yourself with creating the quintessential night in. But then you realize – something’s off.
You decided kitchen clean-up can wait, but, as you make your way to get comfy, are stopped dead in your tracks.
In the process of perfecting your cooking skills over the past while, you’ve managed to build up quite the (almost impressive) mess in your sink – and its drain.
Whether it’s a funky odor, some scary looking gunk, or perhaps your sink’s drain is – eep! – currently clogged (Whether with this week’s leftovers or last’s, is anybody’s guess) – don’t panic!
Settle your kitchen conundrum with the following quick and easy two-part guide: cleaning its drain and sink, respectively – trust us, one shouldn’t happen without the other.
Oh, and a note to your nostrils before we begin – we definitely include tips on how to clean that kitchen sink drain smell we brought up earlier – suffer no longer!
PART 1: How to clean your kitchen sink drain
What you’ll need:
- Boiled water
- Baking soda or dish soap
What you may need:
- Lemon juice
- Distilled white vinegar
- Drain cleaner
- Boil a few cups of water and, with protective wear, slowly stream it down your sink’s drain.
Important: To avoid damaging your pipes, make sure the mentioned water is hot but below boiling temperature at time of pouring.
- Pour a cup of baking soda down your drain – if you don’t have any, return to step 1 and stir some dish soap into your water before applying to your drain.
- Let your cleaning solution sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse your drain thoroughly with cold water, then hot water, to ensure any remaining buildup has been loosened and flushed out.
Sink still smelling sour? We got you! Try one of these add-ons:
- Pour a cup of salt down your drain before the hot water.
- Grab some lemon juice or distilled white vinegar; pour down drain and let sit for half an hour, then rinse.
Has your sink gone full-on clogged? We like Green Gobbler’s line of drain cleaners for that.
Not only can its magic work in mere minutes, their name is just plain ol’ fun to say; are we right or are we right?
Important: Depending on how severe the clog is, you may want to contact your local plumber to resolve the issue. When in doubt, ask for help!
PART 2: How to clean your kitchen sink?
What you’ll need:
- Hot water
- Dish soap
- Baking soda
- Soft scrub brush
- Old toothbrush
- Dry cloth
What you may need:
- Elbow grease
Alright. We gotta break it to you – using those mighty muscles of yours may be needed here – but only for a bit! Why?
It’s important to give the sink itself a good scrub. That way, you’re limiting what goes down its drain in the first place. Prepare with some pump-up stretches, and get to it:
- Rinse your sink with hot water and dish soap.
- Sprinkle baking soda around your sink.
- Then, using a soft scrub brush, scrub in the grain’s direction; remember to start high and work your way down (i.e. – don’t forget the sides of the sink!)
- Use an old toothbrush to give a deep clean to smaller areas and crevices, such as the drain hole.
- Repeat this process if needed in order to get all that grime.
- Wipe with cloth to dry – air drying may leave your sink with water spots, if applicable.
And finally –
Here’s how to keep that kitchen sink clean: Prevent. Prevent. Prevent. Oh, and did we mention, prevent?
The best way to address kitchen sink build-up (and the lovely scents that may accompany it) is to avoid generating any from the get-go.
Here’s some simple preventatives:
- Flush your sink with hot water (and any of the above cleaners, if you see fit) weekly.
- Don’t poke food down your drain – your compost is waiting for it!
- Use proper dish soap – traditional soap can easily latch onto your sink – and stay there.
Have we done the impossible here by inspiring a cleaning streak in you? Or maybe you’re still searching for your cleaning catalyst?
Either way, you may find our other posts handy – and they’re right over here!
Though perhaps you’ve decided it’s all just too icky? Too stinky? Simply put, too much?
Well, fun fact: we’re here to wipe that all away – literally.
We at Eh! Maids would be happy to lighten your load with any of our wide range of cleaning services.
Let our team show you their scrupulous superpowers (flying included free of charge – but for urgent matters only) – connect with us today!